‘Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world.’
This has been a big year for Studio J. In October we celebrated our two-year birthday. I feel proud and grateful towards each and every person who walks through our door. Studio J is focused on adult learning, and that itself can be a challenge – to stay a ‘learner’ as we get older.
However, slowly but surely our community is growing. A community of like-minded individuals, who enjoy doing things a little differently and adding creativity to their everyday lives. Here are a few highlights from the year that was 2018:
– The beautiful artwork on our walls, created by Soumya PV.
– ‘Devi’ – the first intimate theatre to be staged at Studio J.
– Our first open day in May, which saw over a hundred people trial classes.
– The especially important Bollywood 50 plus class – which started with 2 students and has steadily grown since.
– Over 500 enrolments and 72 student dance videos created this year!
– Our Bharatanatyam students performing in Byron Bay thanks to Karma Dance.
– For me personally, returning to teach my favourite style – Bolly-Natyam – on a regular basis (after a 9-month hiatus!)
– Our first Artist Residency program, as a way to give back to the community. Andi Snelling is our current artist in residence, practising at the studio over December & January.
There are so many small but significant moments from this year, way too many to mention here, but my heart is full. I thank all my students and teachers for the year that has been. Wishing you all more joy, laughter, learning & dancing in 2019!
22 December 2018