Kandyan dance is a traditional Sri Lankan art form. Our course incorporates traditional Kandyan with other dance styles to create a fusion dance routine. If you have previously learnt Kandyan dance, and would love to return to the dance in a way which is both traditional and yet modern in its approach, then this course is for you!
In this 8-week course, you will –
- Revise and refine the basic 24 steps which are the foundation of Kandyan dance
- Gradually learn a complete Kandyan fusion routine
- Improve your strength, flexibility and fitness
- Connect with a friendly group of like-minded adult students
- Learn from the best – a fully qualified Kandyan dancer and choreographer with over 15 years Kandyan dance training
- Get weekly practice videos to support your learning outside of class
- Have access to a private group chat (via WhatsApp), to encourage communication with other students and your teacher
- Improve your performance skills by creating a dance video in the final lesson. Your video is professionally filmed and edited by Studio J. You will have full access to the final dance video, to share with family & friends (non-commercial use)
Teacher – Rashan Samsul
Rashan started learning Kandyan dance in Sri Lanka, at the age of 10. He later went on to learn Bharatanatyam, and graduated from the Kalakshetra in Chennai, India. Rashan was the first Muslim Bharatanatyam and Kandyan dancer in Sri Lanka, and his dedication to dance has been unwaivering. Since arriving in Melbourne 4 years ago, Rashan has continued teaching and performing across Melbourne with his company Pravaha Dancing Foundation. He hopes to share his knowledge of dance with the next generation and make his mark on the Australian artistic landscape.