In this 8-week course, you will:
- Learn a semi-classical dance routine to Sri Lankan music
- Use basic gestures & footwork used in a variety of classical dance styles including Kandyan & Bharatanatyam.
- Improve your strength, flexibility and fitness
- Connect with a friendly group of like-minded adult students
- Learn from the best – Australia’s best Sri Lankan dancer and choreographer with over 15 years Kandyan & Bharatanatyam dance training
- Get weekly practice videos to support your learning outside of class
- Have access to a private group chat (via WhatsApp), to encourage communication with other students and your teacher
- Improve your performance skills by creating a dance video in the final lesson. Your video is professionally filmed and edited by Studio J. You will have full access to the final dance video, to share with family & friends (non-commercial use)
Teacher –Rashan Samsul
Rashan started learning Kandyan dance in Sri Lanka, at the age of 10. He later went on to learn Bharatanatyam, and graduated from the Kalakshetra in Chennai, India. Rashan was the first Muslim Bharatanatyam and Kandyan dancer in Sri Lanka, and his dedication to dance has been unwaivering. Since arriving in Melbourne 4 years ago, Rashan has continued teaching and performing across Melbourne with his company Pravaha Dancing Foundation. He hopes to share his knowledge of dance with the next generation and make his mark on the Australian artistic landscape.