- Develop a more advanced understanding of the nuances of kathak dance execution through focussed technical drills for chakkars (spins), tatkaar (footwork), and hand movements (hastaks) combinations.
- Learn intermediate level choreography to a classical dance piece with optional filming at the end of the course.
- Continue and enhance your training through focussed feedback on your posture and form. Further develop speed, stamina and agility.
- Take the next step in or refine existing knowledge of century old compositions through a series of taranas, sargam, and thumris.
- Connect to the soul of kathak- story telling, and learn the mythological representations of divine deities through classical dance pieces.
- Learn more intricate kathak compositions including todas, tukras, parans and tihais in teen taal.
- Learn in a supportive and encouraging environment, geared towards adult learning.
- Have fun with a friendly group of adult dancers.
- Learn from one of Melbourne’s top Kathak choreographer, dancer and teacher, with over 20 years Kathak training.
- Get weekly practice videos to support your learning outside of class.
- Have access to a private group chat (via WhatsApp), to encourage communication with other students and your teacher.
Teacher –Ida Ghatge
With over 20 years of dance experience, Ida is a Kathak dancer who trained under guru Shri. Harish Gangani. Ida started her Kathak training at age 5 and has trained across all three gharanas (styles) of Kathak – Lucknow, Jaipur and Banaras. She was one of the youngest to complete her diploma in Kathak and went on to pursue her bachelor degree in the dance form. She also attended the Terence Lewis Dance Academy in Mumbai, and later moved to Melbourne to pursue her education in psychology. An experienced performer, Ida has graced the stage across India, Europe and Australia.