In this 8-week course, you will:
- Expand your repertoire and movement vocabulary through learning a short dance item (either traditional, or a more modern classical routine by newer choreographers)
- Develop a deeper practical and theoretical understanding of Bharatanatyam
- Continue nuancing the nine emotional states of classical Indian dance and how to convey them through body posture, facial expression, eye/glance technique and breath control.
- Refine and further develop your form and technique
- Learn in a supportive and encouraging environment, geared towards adult learning
- Work on your fitness, strength and flexibility
- Meet a friendly group of like-minded dancers
- Be taught by the best in the industry, a professional Bharatanatyam dancer & teacher with over 25 years dance experience
- Get weekly practice videos to support your learning outside of class time
- Have access to a private group chat (via WhatsApp), to encourage communication with other students and your teacher
- Create a dance video once you have learnt a full dance item. Your video is professionally filmed and edited by Studio J. You will have full access to the final dance video, to share with family & friends (non-commercial use)
Teacher –Govind Pillai
Govind is one of a few Australian male practitioners of Bharatanatyam. With an international track-record of sell-out productions and festival appearances, he has choreographed, directed and performed at venues and events including the Victorian Arts Centre, Sydney Opera House, Midsummer Festival, Woodford Folk Festival etc.and has roles as Director of Karma Dance, Board Member of the National Theatre (St Kilda), Lead Male Dancer of Sanskriti Dance (Sydney), Vice President of Flare Dance Co. (Melbourne), and Dance Advisor elect to the Federation of Indian Music and Dance Inc (Victoria).