In this course, you will:
- Get an insight into the dedication and discipline required to learn Bharatanatyam. Our adult beginner level classes give you the opportunity to experience the artform and decide for yourself if you are ready to learn and engage with this dance form at a deeper level.
- Learn via a non-traditional approach, with a teaching format designed to make Bharatanatyam more relevant & engaging for adults.
- Learn the basic mudras (hand gestures) and Bharatanatyam footwork through a simple dance sequence
- Learn various step sequences (adavus) which are the foundation of Bharatanatyam
- Learn in a supportive and encouraging environment, specific for adults
- Work on your fitness, strength and flexibility
- Meet a friendly group of like-minded adult beginner students
- Be taught by the best in the industry, a professional Bharatanatyam dancer & teacher
- Get weekly practice videos to support your learning outside of class time
- Have access to a private group chat (via WhatsApp), to encourage communication with other students and your teacher
Teacher – Rashan Samsul
Rashan started learning Kandyan dance in Sri Lanka, at the age of 10. He later went on to learn Bharatanatyam, and graduated from the Kalakshetra in Chennai, India. Rashan was the first Muslim Bharatanatyam and Kandyan dancer in Sri Lanka, and his dedication to dance has been unwaivering. Since arriving in Melbourne 6 years ago, Rashan has continued teaching and performing across Melbourne with his company Pravaha Dancing Foundation. He hopes to share his knowledge of dance with the next generation and make his mark on the Australian artistic landscape. Read more about Rashan in our dance blog!