In this 8-week course, you will:
- Get an insight into the physical effort, dedication and discipline required to learn Bharatanatyam. Our adult beginner level classes give you the opportunity to experience the artform and decide for yourself if you are ready to learn and engage with this dance form at a deeper level.
- Learn via a non-traditional approach, with a teaching format designed to make Bharatanatyam more relevant & engaging for adults.
- Learn the basic mudras (hand gestures) and Bharatanatyam footwork through a simple dance sequence
- Learn various step sequences (adavus) which are the foundation of Bharatanatyam
- Learn in a supportive and encouraging environment, specific for adults
- Work on your fitness, strength and flexibility
- Meet a friendly group of like-minded adult beginner students
- Be taught by the best in the industry, a professional Bharatanatyam dancer & teacher
- Get weekly practice videos to support your learning outside of class time
- Have access to a private group chat (via WhatsApp), to encourage communication with other students and your teacher
Teacher –Divya Shreejit Kumar
Divya started learning Bharatanatyam at age five and has practised and performed the art form for well over 25 years. A notable feature of Divya’s performances is her “abhinaya” (expressive technique) that captivates the audience and makes one feel as if they were not merely watching a dance but actually perceiving life unfold before them. Divya looks to inspire and spread this love for her art by making it more accessible and enjoyable for everyone.