Bharatanatyam – Intermediate/Advanced Level
Our Bharatanatyam Intermediate/Advanced level classes offer adults with previous experience a way to further progress their learning. Various teaching methods are employed (such as in class experimentation, workshops with a musician once a term etc) to grow the students’ affection and depth of connectivity with the art. Classes will cater for varying levels of prior Bharatanatyam training, and learning is tailored to the individual interests and experience of the student.
Through consecutive lessons and terms, students will further their learning/understanding and affection for Bharatanatyam through :
1. Expanding their repertoire and movement vocabulary through learning an interesting range of new items (both traditional, as well as more modern classical choreographies by newer choreographers) in the classical Bharatanatyam style
2. Developing a deeper practical and theoretical understanding of the intricacies of the art – e.g. a deeper appreciation of rhythmic constructs and their interplay with the body.
3. Continued nuancing of the nine emotional states of classical Indian dance and conveying those emotional states through body posture, facial expression, eye/glance technique and breath control.
4. Refining and further developing a vocabulary of static poses and postures inspired by both yoga and classical Indian dance traditions from ancient India.
5. More comprehensive understanding of the interplay between carnatic music and Bharatanatyam through in-class experimentation and “dance and play” sessions with guest musicians that will help solidify learning and inspire in an innovative workshop/non-performance way.
Bharatanatyam – Beginner Level
Bharatanatyam for adult beginners – it’s never too late to start! Students will learn mudras (hand gestures), abhinaya (how to convey emotions) and basic steps/adavus of Bharatanatyam. Throughout the term, students will continue to explore adavu groups through short jathis and phrases, and eventually progress towards learning a range of dance items. Learning will be geared towards adults, in a supportive and judgement free environment.
Bharatanatyam (Intermediate/Advanced) is a 90 minute class, taught by Govind on Mondays 7pm.
Bharatanatyam (Beginner) is a one hour class, taught by Divya on Sundays 10am.